-->

Davo Letter #2

Letter from Davo
Post Delta November 10, "backwater" to his mother

Ma,

The postman still hasn't come so I can send an extra letter.

Patrol yesterday was ugly. Me and Lara were investigating a rock ridge when I heard a buzzing. At first it just sounded like a fly, but it got steadily louder. Way too loud for just a bug.

I turned in time to catch the biggest damn bee I ever saw plunge right at me. I lifted up my arm to block and sure enough it jabbed me good. The pain flashed up my arm and I watched this thing, like a flying pirahna, gnaw on my arm. Not a stinger, teeth!

Lara was there in a second with her knife out. She went right through its abdomen and gave a sharp turn. Even with all its innards gone there was a delay before it stopped munching on me.

We didn't have time to patch me up because I heard more buzzing. It was close and getting closer. Lara and me took off running. I glanced back and saw at least twenty or thirty more of those damn things hovering near the corpse of their fellow. I saw one go out in one direction, weaving this way and that, and another do the same in a different direction, and I realized they were searching. Thank goodness we got far away from that swarm.

Back at post the doc patched me up and even managed to spare a couple antibiotic pills. She said that we likely ran into either a Xen species reacting to Terran environment or an Earth species tainted by something strange from Xen.

Vick told me that the bugs were a bio-weapon used by an engineered Xen species, but that their hosts, while tough ugly buggers, decayed rapidly in our atmosphere. The big guys died and the little bugs they carried survived. Vick's pretty smart, too, so I guess it's possible. Though he is crazy.

Anyway, I gotta go up to the watch tower for night shift. No lights allowed. Yes, even with a big bloody bite taken out of my arm I still have to work. Bummer.

Love,
your son Davo

Posted at 21:55

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com