-->

Pre-Combine Storm Story

Entry from The Portal Storm Portal
A pre-Combine blog concerning the effects of Portal Storms

Recovered from a relatively intact server

Oh my god we just had the worst of the Storms I've ever been through.

We'd had at least five or six in my area so far, but mostly they just pop out a few of those icky jumping mouth things, I guess everybody's calling them headcrabs, though Trish calls 'em skullfuckers. Anyway, those things are dealt with pretty quick. I guess one of them got ahold of some poor guy who was out jogging and, well, nobody really knows how to get them off yet. So they had to kill the guy.

But oh god today was just awful. I'm lucky we live in a gated community, we've all pretty much banded together and there are armed patrols and people have taking (sic) to guarding all around. Dad even gave me a shotgun and showed me how to use it.

So I was watching some TV (thank god they still put stuff on, even if they aren't making many new shows) when the power starts flickering. I grabbed my shotgun and went out to the rally point. That's where me and the neighbors' kids meet when we think a Storm's on the way. It's basically a big bunker made out of scrap metal and sandbags and other weird junk.

I get there and Jane is already there and Trish, too, plus Tommy (he's only ten). We can see a patrol by the main gate, about five guys with guns.

The Storm starts up. The sky kinda darkens and my teeth get chattery and I feel my hairs on my neck tingle a bit.

There's a flash off by the main gate and I can see the bolts crackling and one of them stretches out and hits a guy and he goes flying, with smoke rising up. He hits the ground doesn't get up but some of his buddies go to see if he's okay and the others watch the portal. Sure enough something comes out, it's man-sized, but ugly, like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly when he turned into that fly-thing at the end.

The guys start firing and it falls pretty quick but more portals are crackling open. They're popping off all around the neighborhood now and even outside the gates. I hear sirens and alarms going off all over town.

I see more patrols and guards going up and down the street and they're checking on the other rally points to make sure the kids are okay.

Daddy pokes his head into the entrance. "Daddy!" I yell and he winks at me. "Hey, pumpkin," he says. "Everybody just stay in here while we clean up, okay?" And everybody nods and Daddy walks off with Jane's dad and Mr. Grieg from up the street, he's not married anymore but he's a nice guy.

The stupid portals kept zapping out of nowhere. It was awful. More of the skullfuckers came out and I could see them walking around real slow looking for things to jump at.

I saw Mrs. Westerman's rotty, Pippin, sniffing around and there was a skullfucker right near him, edging closer. I started yelling at him to come to the shelter but he kept sniffing. I think maybe the skullfucker smelled like food to him.

"Stupid dog!" I yelled. I thought about running out there but Daddy had said to stay put.
Tommy was watching and he started screaming and I watched the skullfucker leap at Pippin and latch on. I reached over and covered Tommy's eyes. Pippin was bucking and I could hear this horrible whine that seemed to get strangled out and the dog just fell over twitching. I told Tommy not to look and to go over to Trish and he did and Trish just hugged him and stroked his hair.

I looked out again and Pippin was on his feet but with that ugly ugly thing bulging off his head and he walked all slow and lopsided. It wasn't Pippin anymore, that's what I thought as I raised the shotgun. Because it was walking right toward our rally point and none of the guards were nearby, I could see some fighting other things and heard gunshots everywhere. So I aimed and fired but my arm jerked too much and I grazed Pippin's leg. He slipped a little but didn't fall and blood and meat was hanging off the leg. I aimed again and tried to relax and breathe and squeeze the trigger like Daddy said to do.

This time I hit the skullfucker straight on and it was ripped in half. What was left of the skullfucker hit the ground with a wet smack and Pippin's body just went slack. I couldn't see very well cause I was crying a little bit.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned and it was Daddy. He smiled at me and I tried to smile back but felt sick. I ran to the near doorway and threw up. Daddy came over to me and patted my back and I felt a little better. "You did real good, pumpkin," he said and I started crying again, only worse this time. I looked up at Daddy and he was cut up a little and had scratches on his face.

"Is it over?" I asked and he nodded.

"Mostly," he said. "The portals don't seem to be popping off so we're just looking for all the things that mighta come through."

God I hope these things don't get worse.

posted by xxToughBunnyxx

Posted at 14:57

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com